Tag Archive for: Angurestan-e Malek

Malek Vineyard

Malek Vineyard

Angurestane Malek-ol-toj’jar is Persian for the vineyard of Malek-ol-toj’jar. Malek-ol-toj’jar was one of the successful merchants who lived during the Qajar dynasty. At that time, Zelol-sultan was the ruler of Isfahan city and the son of Naser-al-din Shah, one of the kings of Iran.

Who Is Malek-Ol-Toj’jar?

On the order of Zelol-sultan many palaces were destroyed till Malek-ol-toj’jar purchased the two remaining Ali-Qapo and Chehel Sotun Palaces as a mean of keeping them as storage places to save them.

Angurestane Malek-ol-toj’jar is one of the historical houses located in Malek Street, Isfahan. It was dedicated to Imam Hossein. Different religious ceremonies are held in this house in Imam Hossein’s honor. Malek-ol-toj’jar, in his will, demanded to be buried in this house.

The Exceptional Decorations of This House

All around the house are placed different traditional furniture which belonged to Malek-ol toj’jar such as: The table, the chairs and the chandeliers. They are depicted in the photographs taken of the room.

The building is located on the northern part of the plot with two great halls. The former is fully decorated with sash windows and plaster work while the latter is larger and it is decorated with columns, huge latticed doors in colorful glasses, and balconies all around for ladies to attend meetings. High quality wooden panels on the ceiling are also visible. The courtyard is covered by steel trusses for religious meetings.

Different Parts of the House

  • The inner courtyard: in Persian it is called Andarooni. A beautiful pond along with a Persian style garden is placed in this courtyard it used to help the house’s air conditioning. Later, it was removed for the purpose of holding ceremonies in an easier way.
  • The winter room: sunlight would come through the windows during the winter, so they would choose this room to stay in during the winter. The tomb of Malek-ol-toj’jar and his wife are laid to rest in this room.
  • The summer room: it is decorated with beautiful stained glass windows.

According to two inscribed plaster panels, the date of its construction was 1906 A.D. and the date of the late merchant death was 1922 A.D. inscribed on the marble tombstone along with a photo of him.


Opening Hours



(+98) –